Research facilities and equipment
The Department of Biology occupies modern laboratory facilities in two adjoining buildings on the the IUPUI campus. This space will soon be augmented by the construction of a new laboratory building, planned to open in 2015. This building will contain state-of-the-art research laboratories and core facilities to support research.
Current facilities include:
- A 4000 sq ft climate-controlled greenhouse. The greenhouse is used by plant biology researchers, and also houses an extensive plant collection.
- A variety of research microscope systems, including an Olympus Fluoview confocal microscope.
- Controlled environment plant growth chambers.
- Warm rooms for microbial cultures
- Automated genetic analyzer
The department also has access to core facilities on campus, including
- Next generation sequencing
- 2-photon fluorescence microscopy
- High-performance computing
- Flow cytometry
- Electron microscopy
Microbiologist’s lifelong dedication shines in the classroom and labBarbara Kaiser Adjunct Faculty